The ‘Performance and Accountability Initiative for Better Results’ (PAIR) project aims to contibute towards realizing the Millennium Development Goals 4 (reduce child mortality) and 5 (improve maternal health by 2015).
It is currently being implemented in 21 Member Associations (MAs) including –Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroun, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea Conakry, Mali, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo in West Africa as well as Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Mozambique, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda and Zambia in East and southern Africa.
The two-year (2013–14) initiative is strengthening the capacity of our MAs’ in delivering innovative service delivery systems and as well as their approaches when targeting vulnerable and underserved communities.
It also promotes the collection and use of quality data for decision making, in order to increase efficiency and double MAs service delivery by 2015.
The objectives of project are to:
- Strengthen existing learning centers and transform an additional five MAs into technical hubs.
- Strengthen data collection, reporting and utilization for decision making.
- Expand sexual and reproductive health services through social franchising in eight MAs.
- Introduce community based distribution of injectable contraceptives in four MAs.
- Expand comprehensive abortion care (CAC) services in 15 MAs.
The PAIR project is funded by the Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA).